Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Seven days and counting.........


No more mattress problems……..

In our last adventure we were trying to find a way to get our mattresses across the border to Canada. I could not believe that I had to fumigate the mattress and certify that it was fumigated in order to get the mattress across the border but there it was in the regulation
that makes it appear that mattress trafficking is forbidden. So as you know I called as many folks in the local area as I could to find someone who would be able to complete this task, to no avail. Well, things were getting a little more concerning, and thus began the rationalizations.

Well we have had the mattress for 10 years………
I guess we should not pack it in the first place……
We could always fake a letter………….
We could get one of those do it yourself household fumigation kits….
Maybe there is a place on the border that can do this for us…….

It was the last item that prompted a change in fortunes. In search of a solution for the problem, I fired up google and went looking for a place in Maine that might be able to fumigate a mattress. After a long hard search with great handfuls of nothing to show for it I changed my query mode and entered the following “mattress fumigation Canada” into the search box. Well that did the trick, I landed upon a site called BritishExpat and they and they had the answer
(turns out the regulation is poorly written and does not apply to folks form the US or UK).

This is a great site that provides a huge amount of information on moving to Canada. In fact they even provide a general list of what to accomplish prior to your move. Granted it is geared toward the British, it is still a very valuable resource and one that we will be combing over in the last days in the heat.

So, the mattress issue is solved and we are moving on, next stop, finalizing the route of travel and booking the hotels.

3 comments:

Razor said...

so were you able to import your mattresses with you to canada without having them fumigated? I am also going from the US to Canada in a week and wondering about this. No local companies will fumigate my mattresses so i'm probably just going to roll the dice and hope they let it slide... i've also thought about getting the DIY powder stuff and just cleaning them myself. That would show a good faith effort to do it... Let me know how it went for you ! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Things went well. The matresses transported with the movving company and there were no questions at all. We did not fumigate or even fake it. They simply did not ask or care.

Razor said...

cool. The thing is that i'm returning to Canada as a "returning resident" and that is tarriff exemption 9805.00.00 but the exemptions for mattress fumigation are only for 9806-9810 so I think they'll ask. Either way I went ahead and bought "Hot Shot BedBug and Flea fogger" at home depot and fumigation the mattresses and then bagged them. I'm taking the empty box and the used can of the fogger with me in case they ask and need proof i did it. We should be good to go. Thanks again for sharing your experiences!