Monday, July 14, 2008

22 days left to find more new immigration rules.....

Moving your matresss

So you see, we are moving to Canada with used mattresses. That presents us with a bit of a problem. Apparently the Canadian Mattress Coalition has a fairly decent lobbyist and they have introduced and passed legislation that requires that anyone entering into Canada must certify that their mattress is clean and that it has been fumigated. In addition, the method of fumigation must be described (the official rule). Well, I did not completely believe that I needed to do this so I contacted the Border Information Services and asked them directly and they confirmed indeed that I was supposed to go through this process.

Since it was obvious that I was indeed going to have to go through this process, I began calling around to find out where I could get this done without to much trouble. So, who do you speak to about getting this sort of thing done? I began with the carpet cleaners; after all they were going to be cleaning the rest of the house when we moved. So I called and spoke with them, and sure enough they could easily clean the mattress, but as for the fumigation they were not able to help me out. Well, if maybe I could get some help from the Orkin man since they specialize in pest control. Well they let me know they could fumigate the house, but that they did not fumigate mattresses. Well that left me wondering where else I could go and so I thought about all the places that might possibly sell used mattresses and decided to call Goodwill and ask them if they could help me out. Well it turns out that they no longer take mattresses and they cannot help me out.

It seems to me that this may indeed be a conspiracy by the mattress coalition of Canada. It seems to me that we have only once choice, that is to fake it. Since a worst case scenario is that we cannot get our mattresses across the border, what do we have to lose? Having read the rules again, I have decided that there is nothing in the rules that say that I cannot do this myself; I just need to document what I did and how I did it. After all if it is not good enough then we are back at square one and purchasing a new mattress in Canada. What the heck, we have nothing to lose.


Fun new rules you did not know about…..
Just when you thought that we had everything in order to bring our car across the border. We have made sure that there are no recalls on the vehicle (as evidenced by the letter form the dealer). We have confirmed that we can make the needed modifications in order to bring the vehicle into line with the specific law regarding the vehicle immobility devices. Well it also seems like there is something new on a daily basis that we must prepare for the move. We though that we had everything prepared for bringing the vehicle across until this morning when I ran across a requirement that I must get our vehicle cleared by US Customs prior to moving it across the border. This means that we have to go to the bank and get them to sign a letter allowing us to take the vehicle across the border.

No comments: