Sunday, September 28, 2008

What is he saying (Part II)???


Whenever you go to a new location you can expect that things are going to be different (see part I of what is he saying???). For instance, when you go to France you expect that things will be in French. Likewise, in China you expect Chinese, Korea , well Korean of course. So when you arrive in Canada you should expect to hear some Canadian.

Wait, I thought the Canadians spoke English and French?
You are in fact correct.
Then what is Canadian?
That is the version of English they speak.
Today I pay tribute to some noteworthy differences that I have picked up over the last month and a half. Some are in the way in which folks pronounce things, others in the adjectives and adverbs used to highlight the conversation. So, let’s go through my most recent examples of differences from our common language.

The first example comes from Nancy and her interaction with a car salesman. We have recently purchased a happy yellow Chevrolet Aveo and we enjoy it when it runs (and when it does not it goes back to the salesman to have it looked at and fixed….a completely separate post). It was during one of her visits to the dealer to pick up the car (again) that they got to talking about the color. She calls it happy yellow. This led to a conversation as follows (deckle rhymes with freckle).

Salesman: You ought to get a deckle for that car
Nancy: A what?
Salesman: A deckle of a nice yellow smiley face, there is a guy down the road who makes em, eh.
Nancy: Confused look on her face
Salesman: See he made all those deckles for my other cars, eh.
Nancy:
Light bulb comes on and she realizes he
means Decal. Hmmm………

The second example comes from several patients I have heard over the last week. You see we have had a bit of stomach flu in our community (a gift from the return of the school year). So I have seen several people with the same basic complaints.


Doc: Hello Mr Whomever, what is going on today that brings you in?
Patient: I been sqwamish, terrible sqawmish.
Doc: I see (Puzzeled look on my face masking as concern)….Tell me a bit more about it.
Patient: I been wake up terrible sqwamish, can’t hear tell of eating, make me terrible sqwamish.
Doc: Have you been throwing up?
Patient: Only when the sqwamish gets terrible.
After several encounters I began to understand that sqwamish meant squeamish. It is an unusual way to describe nausea, but I guess it works. It certainly gets the point across once you understand what they are saying.

The last bit comes from differences in the way we describe the same things (taken from the medical setting).


Terrible = As an adjective such as a Terrible smart, Terrible big, Terrible pretty, Terrible sick, or Terrible tasty. In some parts of the country they would substitute the word wicked. In Texas you might hear the word powerful in place of terrible.

Getting a Needle = an injection of some kind
Freeze it up = Numb an area for something like a stitch or an excision
Prick, as in “ I had to prick her three times to get that IV started”. I am used to hearing the word stick in place of prick.

I will continue to listen for more curisities form the north.
Well for all of you that are sweating away in Texas, you will wish that you were here. The weather is glorious, and the fall colors are beyond anything I have seen . The leaves have an electric almost fluorescent color to them as they turn brilliant yellow, red and purple. Here is a link to the science behind the changing of the leaves. I only hope that Kyle does not blow them all away prior to getting some photos of them for everyone. For now head over the flickr site (click on the slideshow on the right) to see some new photos we posted form a trip last month to the north shore of the island.

1 comment:

Tricia Noreen said...

HI Gil,

Missed you thia year in Ghana. Had a great conference, 250+ people attended. Sounds like you and Nancy are doing well in your new home. Take care and hope to see you in coming years.

Tricia Noreen