Friday, August 8, 2008

Arriving before Sunset is so cool.....


Today we arrived in Harrisburg Pennsylvania and did so prior to the setting of the sun. It was wonderful to be able to drive in and see everything as we did, and to get here early. We had a good drive today and saw a great part of the United States, the Blue Ridge parkway.


So, we got out this morning from Charlotte North Carolina and in very short order we were in Virginia. We headed north until we hit interstate 81 and headed north until we got to Pennsylvania. We crossed through West Virginia and Maryland to get here, but really not enough of either of these two states to take much notice. The drive through the hills of the Appalachian mountains was very beautiful and the weather obliged us with just enough cloud cover to make it pretty, but not so much as to make is dark.

This is a part of the United States that Nancy and I have never seen and so alternated roles as driver and scenery observer frequently throughout the day. It was a slice of Americana, the typical and classical farm houses, the silos, the dairy cows. It was wonderful and we are very glad to have seen all of it.

In Harrisburg, we are staying again with the La Quinta chain and since we arrived early enough we were able to head across the street to have some very yummy calzones from Salvatore’s pizzeria. They were very good and we were exceptionally hungry having eaten light today because we were focused on making good time to our destination.

Being Interviewed…….

So, to follow up on yesterday, let me go back in time to Wednesday, the 6th of August. While we were in deep east Texas the phone rang and it was Brendon Elliot form the Canadian Broadcasting System wanting to speak with me about an interview. I am still not clear how he heard about me coming to the Island (Nancy says it just indicates how size of the island), but they had contacted Herb (the doctor that I will be working with on the island) and he gave him my phone number. So we set up a time on Thursday to speak when I would have access to a land line so he could get a good recording of the interview. The gist of the interview revolved around why a doctor would move from Texas to PEI. Nancy listened to half the interview (my answers) and she said it made good sense to her and that I did a pretty good job answering his questions about how we came to choose the island and the reasons behind the move (which are outlined in my prior posts). I will be curious to see what it ends up sounding like, and when I get to the island I will ask for a copy or a link so I can post it for anyone who might be interested (or exceptionally bored).
I will say that all the education that I had in Texas through the Texas Academy of Family Physicians really paid off during the interview. I felt comfortable and I remembered to allow for small silences instead of providing the very nervous “Uhm” that I am prone to use to fill in the gaps. We shall see what it sounds like after the editing. (Listen here)

Tomorrow we are off to New Hampshire ( a short drive through mountains) and then a few days with Alli.

No comments: