Monday, March 31, 2008

So Many Projects......So Little Time

Selling a house means completing the projects

So we are selling the house and that is real cool. It signals the end of one adventure and the beginning of another. I should have been more specific about the adventure in which I was interested. The biggest adventure now is the whirlwind of projects that must be completed prior to selling the house. None of them are BIG, but they all take time, and effort. So what kind of projects do we have? Well, as you can imagine, we have many projects that should make you envious.

First we have the joys of painting.
You see, with horses and other animals there are things that can go wrong with any paint job. You see horses like to chew and they really like to chew wood. This is alright when they are in their stalls, even though it is annoying and requires repair work; it is not alright when it is the trim on the house. You would think that one little taste would indicate that the the wood is painted and is not all that tasty. No, they have to taste the wood in several different locations in order to make sure that they are not missing some special tidbit. Needless to say, it means that I have to go out an touch up all the scrap marks that they have left for me.

Dirt Dabbers hate me.
Well with the painting on the outside completed, then the general step of house cleanup can begin. That means the removal of the dirt dabber nests that have shown up over the walls of the house, especially along the mortar sections surrounding the Austin stone. They also like to nest on the trim, under tables, under the grill, just about any place to which they can get. So that means we have to clean them up, and this requires knocking them down, spray washing the location, and in the case of the trim, you guessed it, touching up the paint.

Is that Hail Damage on your Roof?
No it is not really, the roof is just really old.
No look right there, there are a few shingles missing.
Yeah, you are right. That must have been the wind earlier in the week.
Fast forward one week
Well it looks like you have some damage on your roof and it needs to be replaced.
(Sounds of people groaning)

So while it is not a project I will personally complete, it is a project none the less. I am not clear when it will be done but it must be done.

So there you have it, the short list of the projects. These are the ones we have to deal with today; it does not include the 3 pages of 8 font type that Nancy has lined out for me to work on tomorrow.

So how about the immigration paperwork?
Well, we have all the papers together for to be submitted. We have the photos taken, and let me tell you that was a bit odd. So you would think, it is an immigration paper shuffle, therefore it must meant that we need passport style photos. Yeah, the problem is that Canada has some specific requirements regarding the size of the photos. The must be 35 mm x 45 mm and the distance form the top of your head to the bottom of your chin must be between 31mm and 36 mm. If you do not meet these requirements then you better rethink things. The UPS store was real nice and apparently they had done stuff for Canada previously because they were able to hit the mark. Granted the first run was way to dark, but the second attempt was much better.

With this done, tomorrow I get some paperwork that describes the job I have done for the last several years and then I send things off. Once sent, there is a little wait then I get to go through the joys of a physical examination. Once I know that the paperwork is in hand, I will schedule the physical and then await the arrival of the paperwork.

All in all it has not been too bad so far, but we are about to enter the waiting game and that may be where things come apart.

FLICKR anyone?
So, you may have noticed a new addition to the right side of the page. Yes that scrolling slideshow is a link to the Flickr site and you are all welcome to head that way and look at the photos I am posting up. I am starting to work on a FaceBook page as well to allow me to post things a bit less interesting or a little more tedious. It will also allow me to keep in touch with the lives of friends who are staying in Texas. I plan on getting all of the good horse photos up soon, and then I have a few more Ghana photos as well. I will continue to add video to the YouTube site as I have time to edit it. I do have some nice video of Nancy riding Cowboy and Olivia as well as some video of her driving Buddy. Ahh.......so many projects so little time.

No comments: